Sit down, relax, grab a cup of Joe...

This is my place on the web where I'm going to be discussing what all is going on in my garden spaces. I am a container gardener for the most part and I am constantly having problems with pests, growing problems, pots, etc. I'm hoping to get feedback and advice from friends, family, and general passers by, and maybe pass on a little info here and there about plants in general!

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Some changes to my original post

Hi folks,

Today's post is going to be a bit strange.  I made some mistakes on my original post and didn't include all the plants that I have growing everywhere, so I'm going to add a few today:

Backyard South:

2 Containers of Sempervivium Arachnidium (spelling?) aka Cobweb plant

Backyard North:

1 container of Dragon Tree regular
1 Container of Variegated Dracaena  (Dragon Tree)
1 Container Coreopsis
1 Container Pride of Barbados (2 in the ground in South Backyard)
1 Container Pink Hawthorne--will be pretty next year.  Looks beaten to death from hail.


Indoors Rooting:

1 Orange Honeysuckle
1 Hummingbird Bush
1 Blue Plumbago
1 Moth Orchid
2 African Violet

Okay, now that that is done, I want to talk about Datura...I'd like to pick anyone's brain who has grown Datura or any form of Brugmansia before.



Last April (I know, kinda late)  I planted 76 Datura Metel Black Currant Swirls seeds.  It took them forever to sprout, but I wound up with about 26 actual plants out of the deal which I figured I would attempt to sell through a local grower who only received stock from other local growers.  I figured that might be a cool way of making a bit of extra cash since I have virtually NO CASH free right now beyond what the Govt gives me to pay my bills with.  Out of those 26, I have approximately THREE now that I would feel comfortable selling.  To me, those sound like TERRIBLE results.  I have the majority of them now growing in gallon sized pots, but a few I'm still growing in much smaller pots as the plants still only have about 4 leaves on them.  I guess my question is this...When do I just give up on them and pitch them out?  If the answer is NO!  Don't do that! Then I really need to know what to do about them to make them grow.  I only have two months left in the season for any growth before I need to cut them back to winter them.  I don't suspect that they will make it past this wintering.

I am having a garage sale here in the next few weeks, and I'm going to go ahead and put these out for sale anyway.  I was thinking I'd sell the better ones for higher prices and try to get two to three bucks out of the smaller ones, but I'd almost feel guilty about it.  For two or three bucks, if you bought a plant that didn't grow for a while, would you be really upset?  Just a quick poll to find out..

I'll also be selling some white Spider Lilies.  I have no photo's of those, but they haven't bloomed in YEARS.  They are growing in great clumps out in the front  yard, intensely overcrowded.  Am I wrong to assume that if I get them spread out and into new locations that they will start to perform?  Anyone got any tips on those?

Guess that's it for today.  It won't always be questions.  I'm hoping to give some answers too here along the way.

Have a great day in YOUR garden!


No comments:

Post a Comment