Sit down, relax, grab a cup of Joe...

This is my place on the web where I'm going to be discussing what all is going on in my garden spaces. I am a container gardener for the most part and I am constantly having problems with pests, growing problems, pots, etc. I'm hoping to get feedback and advice from friends, family, and general passers by, and maybe pass on a little info here and there about plants in general!

Thursday, September 20, 2012

New Addition! Giant White Bird of Paradise!

Today I received a MOST generous gift to add to my garden...a Giant White Bird of Paradise Plant!!


I'm hoping to have a better photo than this soon, but so far it's all I have.  I'll attempt to take a photo of the actual plant, but it's going to be boring...no flowers, one of the leaves is burned, and all the leaves are more or less curled up.  It IS producing new leaves though, which gives me a LOT of hope for the plant.

This plants official Name is Strelitzia Nicolai, and it is a tropical plant that can grow up to 20ft high if planted in the ground.  Right now I don't think I am going to be doing that with it.  The consensus on this plant is that it doesn't bloom until it is at least 3-5 years of age, and I think this one is a little young yet.  If I keep it in it's original one gallon container though, it may force blooming because the space it has to live is too small.

That's an interesting trick that I've learned over time that works with a lot of different types and varieties of plants.  You don't necessarily want to keep all of your plants in pots where they have a lot of room to grow.  If you keep them in smaller pots, you can trick them into thinking that they are going to die because of lack of space, thus forcing them to try to reproduce before they normally would do so.  Kinda sneaky--eh?  Still, you really will want to transplant them eventually into something that they will be more comfortable in.  Just wait until they are done with their flowering cycle before you transplant them.  UNLESS, of course, they are already actively dying--showing many dead or discolored leaves, etc.

Well, it's going to be fun having this one around.  I've been wanting one for a number of months now, so this came as a huge surprise!  I'll keep you posted on how this goes.  I think it will be going in the Front Yard North for the time being, as that has nice, filtered sunlight for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment