Sit down, relax, grab a cup of Joe...

This is my place on the web where I'm going to be discussing what all is going on in my garden spaces. I am a container gardener for the most part and I am constantly having problems with pests, growing problems, pots, etc. I'm hoping to get feedback and advice from friends, family, and general passers by, and maybe pass on a little info here and there about plants in general!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Hi Everyone, and welcome to my new Backyard Garden Blog!!  I've never kept a garden blog before.  Actually, I've not had a lot of luck keeping ANY real blog in the past, so here goes nothing...

I'll try to write in this everyday what sorts of things I'm trying to do in the yards around my Corpus Christi apartment...a very small two bedroom in perhaps the absolute WORST part of Corpus Christi, TX.

Blondmyk's Backyard consists of three area's.  I have two areas in the Front of my apartment (I know...I know...but I had to name the blog something!) and two areas of similar size in the back.  I'm negotiating with the landlord and the apt manager the two other areas on the sides of the buildings, but right now I'm not holding my breath.

The Front yard is separated into two area's...the shady area to the south, and the partly shady area on the North side of the apartment.  The entire front yard is planted with very old Chinaberry trees, perhaps the trashiest tree on the planet!

The backyard is separated into two areas also...the Far South Area (just beyond a big old juniper of some sort) which is full of sun all day long, and then North of the Juniper, which is partly sunny to full sun the further North you go up the yard.  This final area here can get 8+ hours of sun per day, which here in Texas is requiring some VERY hardy plants to tolerate the heat in these spots.  Now...here's a breakdown of what I have in each area SO FAR...

Front South:

HUGE Saddle Leaf Philodendron
Approx 30 White Spider Lilies, either too compact to bloom, or not getting enough light.

Front North:

Container:  Raspberry Bush
Container:  Mini Yellow Rose coupled with a large pink Knockout Rose
Container:  White/Green Calladium with an unknown donation plant that seems as it could be Kolanchoe.
Container:  Secondary Container of Kolanchoe made of cuttings from the original donated plants.

Backyard Far South:

2--Pride of Barbado's--Yellow.  Planted in ground
2--White Spider Lilies--Planted in ground
2--Arachnium "Hen's and Chicks" type succulent in pots
1--Lavender and Pink Saucer Hibiscus in a container
1--Prickly Pear Cactus--in ground--grown from cutting
1--Potted Alligator Plant pup
1--Potted Old Man Cactus
1--Container with Golden Aloe, and two other unnamed Succulents.

Backyard North:

2--Blue Plumbago--in Ground
2--Anemones--in Ground
2--Easter (Bermuda) Lilies--in Ground
1--Pink Texas Sage--in Ground
1--Angel Wing Jasmine--in Container
1--Desert Rose--In Container
1--Red Shrub Hibiscus--in Container
1--Evergreen Wisteria--in Container
4--Pink Spider Lilies--in ground  varying light conditions.
4 containers of Red Canna Lilies which just keep going and going...
1--hanging Burro-tail Cactus (Sedum)
25--(give or take) Datura Metel Black Currant Swirl Plants (Devil's Trumpet)
1--container of snapdragons, Mini Red Roses, and Yellow Glads
1--potted Alligator Plant
4--pots of "Mother of Thousands" (official name not known)
2--Potted Plumeria--color undetermined


The goal for this blog is to share with you the things that happen in my yard with my plants, and what I do to/for them to cure them, kill them, or whatever happens.  Please folks, help me out where you have knowledge, and correct me if I'm about to  make a mistake.  I'll post photos whenever I can to help you visualize.



No comments:

Post a Comment