Sit down, relax, grab a cup of Joe...

This is my place on the web where I'm going to be discussing what all is going on in my garden spaces. I am a container gardener for the most part and I am constantly having problems with pests, growing problems, pots, etc. I'm hoping to get feedback and advice from friends, family, and general passers by, and maybe pass on a little info here and there about plants in general!

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Some photos (GWBoP) and some other things...

Good Evening folks...

It's Sunday, and that means that my posting today is going to come in the evening.  Sunday's are really busy for me, what with Church in the morning, and lunch with the folks in the afternoons.  Of course when that's done and I'm finally home it becomes nap time!  Woot!

I did take some time out this evening to take a few photos though and I figured that I'd get them posted right away.  This first photo is of my Giant White Bird of Paradise plant, which was gifted to me day before yesterday.  I figured that you could all get an idea of what I'm starting with and we'd watch it grow and change on a periodical basis, whenever something new happens with it.

Giant White Bird of Paradise Plant

This is in the North part of the backyard, and as you can see it's already about six feet tall.  I'm so very excited to see where it will go.  Sorry about the size of the picture, as I don't have any photo editing software on this desktop unit, and my laptop is currently down for the count.  When I get some software, I'll be making all of these a little easier to view when you click them.

Today I'd like to talk about Datura Metel (Double Black Currant Swirl) plants.  I know that I've explained that I have about 25 of these plants due to a money-making experiment gone bad back in April.  What I never mentioned was that this past August I had a great Horned Worm come in and completely strip the plant of all foliage.  After about three weeks and a LOT of TLC, the plant made an almost miraculous comeback.  A great deal of the foliage is back and I'm even starting to get flowers again...

New Bloom on Mother Datura plant
I'm very excited about this.  It's not completely opened up, but I expect it will this evening.  Datura tend to bloom during the evening and offer up such an incredibly sweet fragrance that it's not really describable.  I'm hoping that it will have a lot of the original purple in it, as the last time I had a problem with this plant and it was sick I lost nearly all of the coloring in the flower...like this...

First flower after June sickness
Hardly ANY of the purple was here...just around the very fringes of the flower.  I have to admit though that it's giving me a new appreciation for the white varieties of the plant though!

Good News!  Two of the baby plants are FINALLY throwing off their first blossoms as well!  I'm concerned about these though as well because they aren't showing the purple either that the flowers above show.  I hope that it's not a gene that was bred out of the flower, because if it is these are going to be very difficult to get rid of when it comes time to sell them off!  Here they are...

first flower from baby datura 1

First flower from Baby Datura 2

Two separate plants that I've grown from seed are finally giving me flowers!  I'm so excited!  You can see that there aren't the colors that the purple one above has though.  I sure hope that it grows into the same kind of flower.

Anyway, that's about it for now.  Tomorrow I'm going to show a problem with a plant I'm having, and hopefully someone out there will offer up a solution to what's happening with it.  Take care for tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment