Sit down, relax, grab a cup of Joe...

This is my place on the web where I'm going to be discussing what all is going on in my garden spaces. I am a container gardener for the most part and I am constantly having problems with pests, growing problems, pots, etc. I'm hoping to get feedback and advice from friends, family, and general passers by, and maybe pass on a little info here and there about plants in general!

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Garden Fever Attacks!

Hey all...

Nothing terribly exciting here today, but rather I'm writing this looking forward to what is to come for this season!  I've got all kinds of interesting things planned for my Backyard Garden this year, and then after this year there are going to be some major changes which will result in the closing of my backyard garden...boo...hiss!  Let me assure you that even though this will be the final season of the backyard garden, it will only be the FIRST season for my new North and South facing gardens, which will be taking place of my East facing backyard garden.

Today however was such a good day, bittersweet as it was.  I was visiting my Mother today and on my way home decided to drop by one of my favorite greenhouses--Fox Nursery.  It's always been a little bit on the expensive side, but if you are looking for trees, especially BIG trees, then Fox is undoubtedly the place to go.  I was mortified when I pulled in to the parking lot today and was greeted by a gigantic "Going out of Business Sale" sign.

"Well now, THAT blows!"  I said as I walked into the door.  The cashier was there and had apparently heard me.

"Yeah...We aren't real happy about it either."  She stated in a rather grumpy tone.  "One good thing though...everything is Fifty percent  off."

"Really?"  I said, my mood changing a little bit.

And as I walked the entire nursery looking for this and that, I realized that literally EVERYTHING was half off the regular price!  Not just the plants were on sale, but about 1000 pieces of pottery, bird baths, barrels, furniture...hell, even potting medium and fertilizers were half off.  I felt like a kid in a candy store!!

In cases like this I can get  myself in a great deal of financial trouble, so I had to be very careful and choosy.  It's easy to forget that I'm on a fixed income when things are on sale like this.  I wound up buying only four things total:  A regular "Bird of Paradise" plant, a Canna Lily of an unknown variety which has an exquisite yellow with orange spatter flower, a Orchid of unknown origin (all I know is the variety is called "Fiesta") and a busted open bag of orchid potting medium that was only $2.50.  Grand total for the whole shebang was a mere $20.59.  If you know anything about buying plants at a nursery, you know that you usually can't even buy a single plant for less than $20, so I feel like I got a major STEAL!

So, this brings me to the subject.  I now have the fever for gardening, so it's time to get this show back on the road for spring.  I have some neat things in store this spring, so stay tuned to my blog here!

PS...just did a little research on the Canna, and it's a variety called "Cleopatra".  How fitting for someone like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment