Sit down, relax, grab a cup of Joe...

This is my place on the web where I'm going to be discussing what all is going on in my garden spaces. I am a container gardener for the most part and I am constantly having problems with pests, growing problems, pots, etc. I'm hoping to get feedback and advice from friends, family, and general passers by, and maybe pass on a little info here and there about plants in general!

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Rain, Rain, Go Away...(well, no...not really)

It's been a really rough Summer here in the Coastal Bend.  We've had an excruciatingly hot one, and we've had virtually NO rain.  When it did rain, we'd get like sixteen drops and then it would move on.  Secretly, everyone was hoping for a tropical storm or a hurricane to come through so that this drought would see some kind of end, or at least get close to an end.

Of course, all this heat stunted a great many of the flowers that I had growing in the garden.  My baby plants all stopped their growing and it was a real chore just to keep them alive.  The cacti and succulents that I had growing were an even bigger problem as I had no idea how much water to give them.  Their pots would look bone dry every day, and you aren't supposed to water every day.  Now I'm giving them a closer look and discovering that they were over-watered and I have some serious root damage out there.  Serious bummer indeed.

Of course it was like the calendar had a hold on the rain cycle.  This past weekend was the autumnal equinox, and wouldn't you know it...the rains came...and came.  I haven't had to water even once this past week.  It's a nice break.  The good Lord even sent us one of these, which I find so beautiful!

Rainbow over Flour Bluff, TX on 10/1/12
I love rainbows.  I think to get out often and take photos, but when I do I take more than one...lol!

The other side of the Rainbow!
This rainbow was special in that you could see the whole arch of the thing.  Absolutely beautiful.

What does this have to do with Gardening or flowers?  Absolutely nothing.  But then it wasn't supposed to.  It was supposed to just be a fun post meant to kill the time while I wait for a time when the ground is a bit dryer and I can get outside to do something.  I have lots more things to do outside but because it's so wet right now I can't even go out there without getting my shoes muddy.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures, and I'll be back with more gardening stuff after the rain stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment